Total Pageviews

Sunday 31 January 2021

Bristol Foxes and Foxes Nationally

 It appears that a newer survey of foxes in the Bristol area is needed. As I noted in The Red Paper: Canids I began my fox project in the 1970s and that was after observing a huge tom cat chasing a fox along Pennywell Road early one morning. 

Since that time I have had first hand experience in observing interactions between foxes and cats, hedgehogs and even magpies and seagulls. The fox is never the aggressor and never comes out of the situations well.

I have seen a pair of adult foxes kept at bay by a large hedgehog taking its fill of food. I have seen hedgehogs "allowing" a fox to eat next to it. I have seen the semi wild cat that covers the few gardens near me chase after foxes and even jump onto the back of one -and attempting a nape of neck bite! Several times I have had to intervene as a fox has been cornered by a cat and attacked. Not exactly the cunning, devious killer some of us were told the species was.

From the 1970s on I found that no one was really interested in foxes and books on them were rare (I have a neart little collection) though there are hundreds on how to hunt and kill foxes and on the great "fox sports hunters" of the 18th-20th century. Come TV and a few more get involved though, sadly most leave the subject through boredom or frustration at the lack of financial reward or funding (I have spent a good few thousand since the 1970s!).

What I want to do is take a look at foxes in Bristol now -people contributing information, etc may do so and request anonymity (but to stop fakers or hoaxers I need to know who they are). This is not a survey for hunting or pointless 'pest control'; this is part of a long term study because foxes are still not fully understood and there is the need to educate the public on foxes.

How can you help? Whether a wildlife group or just someone interested here is what you can help with (and as this is an ongoing project those from outside Bristol can still add to our knowledge):

 Fox Study Project 

I am looking for:

(1) Photographs of foxes that people see in their gardens or while out walking.  This is so that I can see what colour coats and tail markings foxes have in different areas of the country.

(2) Information on whether foxes in your area have been hit by mange at any point and what happened to the fox (if known)

(3) If you have foxes in your area and whether local people are feeding them.

Again: Please note that when you do get in touch I will need to know at least the street and town you live in. This is due to hoaxing in the past.

That is how simple it is to help broaden our knowledge of foxes in Bristol (and the UK) so if you can contribute please do.

THANK YOU



No comments:

Post a Comment

Photo of Animal Found Dead In UK

 I am going to ask (I know no one bothers but... ) for opinions. I can tell you:  1) There is a series of three photos   2) The photos are 1...